July 23, 2021
Scientists Look Like….Us!
Family Event Day
Scientists’ identities–their unique perspectives, experiences and knowledge–influence their work in advancing social justice through STEM. Join the Museum of Science in exploring what scientists look like and who can be a scientist.
Visit our new wall display, Face of Science: Ambassadors for Equity, and learn about scientists whose diverse identities influence their work; attend a special live animal presentation for our youngest visitors; drop by our Gordon Current Science & Technology Center to ask a scientist about their research; participate in an engineering activity; take your picture in our photo booth; and more!
Here’s our roster of the day’s events:
- Faces of Science: Ambassadors for Equity exhibit
- Blue Wing, Level 2
- Visit our new wall display to learn about scientists whose diverse identities influence their work.
9:30 – 11:00 am
- Family Science Day Bags
- Lobby, Level 1 exhibit
- Get a free activity bag with a take-home science activity, engineering storybook, and much more! While supplies last.
- For Preschoolers: Live Animal Story Time
- Shapiro Family Science Live! Stage, Green Wing, Lower Level
- Join us for a fun story and the chance to meet the live animal protagonist. Perfect for families and children ages 2+.
10:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Engineering Design Challenges
- Engineering Design Workshop, Blue Wing, Level 1
- Stop in anytime between 10:00 am and noon to help us solve an engineering problem.
10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Living Laboratory
- Natural Mysteries, Green Wing, Lower Level
- Visit the Living Laboratory to meet a scientist and participate in an active research project.
11:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Meet a Scientist!
- Gordon Current Science & Technology Center Stage, Blue Wing, Level 1
- Drop by to meet a scientist and learn about their research.
11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- “Scientists Look Like….Us!” Photobooth
- Blue Wing, Level 1
- Show the world what a scientist looks like by making your own photo props and taking your picture!
- Lightning! Show
- Theater of Electricity, Blue Wing, Level 1
- End our celebration with a Lightning! show delivered by a Museum of Science educator and scientist.
Listen to our podcast, How Do We Ensure Equity in Medicine?