Fall Media Relations and Social Media Intern
The Museum of Science has been growing its social media outreach efforts to strategically support a host of Museum initiatives, including temporary exhibits, Omni films, and events. The Museum maintains an active Museum presence on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram. We are seeking an intern with a demonstrated interest in social media marketing that can assist with the Museum's efforts to expand its social media presence.
The Media Relations Department handles a variety of publicity and promotional activities for temporary and permanent exhibitions, Omni films, Planetarium shows and special events at the Museum of Science.
• Assist with development of Museum's social media presence with a focus on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
• Assist in the research of social media trends and best practices
• Help identify key bloggers, social media contacts, and online journalists plus monitor opportunities for outreach in support of Museum offerings
• Track online communications about the Museum and monitor audience growth on its current platforms, presenting report bi-weekly
• Upload Museum listings to external calendar websites
• Assist with planning of social media events
• As needed, assist media relations department with traditional media relations outreach, including: drafting media alerts, updating media contacts, facilitating college media visits, assist with media events
• College graduate preferred
• Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, or English major preferred
• Experience and demonstrated interest in social media communications
• Good organizational, writing, speaking, and presentation skills
• Previous work experience, Marketing, Public Relations, or non-profit internships preferred
• Demonstrated ability to take directions and work independently
• There will be a mandatory orientation on Saturday, September 27th from 1:00 – 5:00 pm, in addition to 3 Professional Development Workshops during the semester.
Hours / Days Per Week
20-30 hours/week, within Monday - Friday 9-5 timeframe
Fall 2014 (September – December)
How To Apply
In order to be considered for an internship, please email the internship program coordinator with the following:
- The exact internship position title in the subject line
- A cover letter detailing your interest in and relevant experience related to a specific internship position
- A resumé that includes contact information of three references
You may apply for multiple positions; please send a separate email with a tailored cover letter for each position. Emails are preferred and can be processed more quickly. However, we are also able to accept cover letters and resumés by mail or fax if necessary:
Mail to:Internship Program Coordinator Museum of Science Science Park Boston, MA 02114
617-589-0362 (FAX) firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Museum of Science seeks to recruit, hire, develop, promote, and retain individuals from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We strive to create and sustain a more affirming environment for all staff, interns, volunteers, trustees and overseers. We value expertise gained at the Museum and encourage professional development and career growth.