Exhibit Hall Interpreter Volunteer
The Exhibit Interpretation Program offers hands-on, inquiry-based learning experiences for Museum visitors throughout the Exhibit Halls. Our goal is to engage visitors in investigations that encourage them to develop the skills of scientific inquiry, engineering design, and mathematics. Volunteers in the Exhibit Interpretation Program help support a variety of programs within the department. For starters, volunteers may find themselves guiding visitors as they examine fossils or animal skulls, investigate the properties of sound, explore invisible light with an infrared camera, or use a portable ultrasound. Volunteers may also assist school groups with field-trip activities for our Exhibit Investigations program, a program that provides teachers with an opportunity to request a themed exploration of an exhibit area.
- Offer great guest service by answering visitors’ questions, sharing knowledge of the Museum's offerings, and striving to ensure that each visitor's experience is enjoyable.
- Create a welcoming environment for learning by greeting visitors with enthusiasm and responding to their individual needs and interests.
- Engage visitors in activities that get them excited about science and technology and encourage them to use science inquiry, engineering design, and mathematics skills.
- Help support department programs as needed, including providing Drop-In Activities as required for the Museum’s Daily Schedule, supporting school requests for the Exhibit Investigations program, and providing hands-on activities in temporary exhibits;
- Attend weekly briefings at the beginning of each volunteer shift and participate in ongoing training and interpretation skill development.
- At least 14 years of age
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Interest in science, engineering, and/or education and a motivation to learn more
- Demonstrated enthusiasm, initiative, and reliability
- Willingness to work with visitors of all ages and levels of interest or ability
One 3.5-hour shift per week for at least four to six months.
Shifts are available mornings (9:30 am - 1:00 pm) or afternoons (12:30 pm - 4:00pm) most days per week.
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation session.
- Complete a department-specific Museum orientation during first 2 months of regular volunteer shifts
- Work with Museum staff during regular shifts to learn investigation activities and develop interpretation skills.
- Participate in weekly briefing activities and discussions at the beginning of each volunteer shift
How To Apply
Become part of our volunteer team! To apply, please print the appropriate volunteer application below, complete it, and mail it to our Office of Volunteer Services:
Mail to:Office of Volunteer Services Museum of Science Science Park Boston, MA 02114-1099
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Museum of Science seeks to recruit, hire, develop, promote, and retain individuals from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We strive to create and sustain a more affirming environment for all staff, interns, volunteers, trustees and overseers. We value expertise gained at the Museum and encourage professional development and career growth.